St Mary’s Charlcombe
St Mary’s Charlcombe is a Grade II* listed building of Norman origin, over 1000 years old and is the oldest ecclesiastical building in use in Bath. The author Henry Fielding was married in the church in 1734.
The church has a distinctive castellated bell tower with a single bell dating from 1845. The church underwent a significant restoration in 1861 by Sir Gilbert Scott. The organ is a rare example of a small organ built by Harrison and Harrison of Durham and installed in 1916. Only one similar small organ exists, in St Paul’s Cathedral. Full size Harrison and Harrison organs can be found in Westminster Abbey, King’s College Chapel, Cambridge and St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol.
The church maintains a “Quiet Garden” in which can be found the ancient “Holy Well” fed by a spring. The water is famed for being good for the eyes. The well was re-dedicated in 1989 by George Carey, Bishop of Bath and Wells and subsequently Archbishop of Canterbury.
The church is part of the benefice of Charlcombe with St Stephen. Sung Eucharist is held every Sunday at 9 am.
The church is kept open on a daily basis by a rota of local volunteers.
Please note that Charlcombe is a civil Parish and Charlcombe Parish Council has no involvement of the administration of the 3 churches within the Parish. For any information, including times of services, please contact the relevant church office.
For St Mary's Charlcombe, full details can be found at: http://ststephensbath.org.uk/about.php?page=Charlcombe%20Church
and the phone number of the Church Office is 01225 420946.